Actually, I walk half a mile to the subway station, exit, take one bus, then another bus to work. Then I take a different bus home since my other bus shows up early every day… Stupid Torrance Transit system… It has got to be the worst transit system in the world. From that bus, I take another bus and walk a mile home.
Sometimes I cheat and drive, but it’s not often due to the $12 it costs in gas to get to my work.
I spend about three hours in public transit, much like you do. At first, I thought it was a HUGE waste of time. Then I figured out how to utilize my time to make it worth my while.
When you drive, you’re very limited to what you can do. You have to keep both hands on the wheel and you really are unable to text or take phone calls, as it will distract you from driving.
What I have come to find as a solution for this relaxing venture I call my primary method of transportation is quite simple. I utilize each and every extra minute I have acquired.
1. I text people and book conference calls.
2. I send emails and book conference calls.
3. I read as much as I can on sites like Quora.
4. I post on Quora and share content.
5. I think of strategies and ideas of how to market and expand a service.
6. I reflect upon my day and think of what I’m grateful for.
7. I get in my daily exercise on my walks.
8. I plan out my week and figure out how to utilize all the additional time I have.
There are many things you can do when you ride the bus. I hope my short list of what I do can help you with being more productive on your journeys!
Leonard Kim is Managing Partner at InfluenceTree. At InfluenceTree, Leonard and his team teach you how to build your (personal or business) brand, get featured in publications and growth hack your social media following.