Being a product manager at Facebook is one of the most coveted jobs in tech. How can you beat out the competition?
In fact, working at Facebook is now one of the most coveted jobs in the world.
Eric says that if you want a job at Facebook, they look for 3 primary characteristics in their product managers:
1. Product sense. You have to love products and have strong instincts and opinions about what makes certain products successful vs. not. Moreover, you should love technology. While it is not a requirement to have a technical background, you should have some basic sense of technology and get excited thinking about how technology products are built.
2. Ability to execute. Facebook pretty much judges their employees on one main criteria: what did you ship?
The best product managers here are the ones that consistently ship meaningful and measurable products, all the time.
3. Leadership. As a product manager, you will be accountable for the vision and execution of a specific area of the Facebook product.
Being a product manager is a unique job in that no one reports to you-but it’s not unusual for you to be leading a cross-functional team of many people (even dozens) that you will be responsible for rallying to execute a plan.
The only way you get this done is by selling a compelling vision, listening to the needs of your team and responding to their concerns, and building a cohesive culture where people want to belong and stay accountable.
Eric also advised that it’s important to note what Facebook is NOT looking for in their product managers.
4. Technical backgrounds. It definitely doesn’t hurt to come from a technical background, but this isn’t a requirement. The product manager’s job is not to code, but rather to guide their team in working on the most impactful projects.
5. Fancy schooling. It doesn’t hurt, but Facebook is not that big into pedigree. It’s big into whether you can ship stuff.
Generally Facebook is a pretty great place to work. You’ll be surrounded by extremely smart people all the time, and it’s fun to be a part of a company that has such huge momentum and potential. The fantastic compensation and perks don’t hurt either.
Want to be recognized as an expert and provide insights to questions people may have in your field? Check out Wiselike and see how you can get involved. Have any other tips on how to get a job at Facebook? I’d love to hear more. Comment below!
Originally posted on Inc.
Leonard Kim is Managing Partner at InfluenceTree. At InfluenceTree, Leonard and his team teach you how to build your (personal or business) brand, get featured in publications and growth hack your social media following.